Party Walls

The wall that separates two adjoining houses standing astride a boundary is known as a Party Wall. Building work carried out to a party wall in terms of repairing or altering is controlled by ‘The Party Wall Act 1996’. There are many factors you will need to take into consideration as part of this Act, for example, if you are extending your property close to or alongside the boundary wall with your neighbour and these works fall within a 3-6m line of their premises, you will need to serve notice under the Act.

Also, if your building works involve forming a basement, loft extension, extension to your property or internal alterations that require work to the party wall, then it is likely you will need to inform your neighbour by serving notice.

Serving notice legally will protect you and your neighbour.

To find out more on how we can assist you with you Party Wall Matters, please contact us today.

Get in touch with us

Book Surveyor for RICS Report